Breast lift or correction of a sagging breasts is now a very common procedure and more commonly done than breast augmentations
It raises the breast by removing extra skin and tightening the tissue to reshape and better support the remaining breast .Breast lift helps modify the visual aesthetics of the breast and can also correct the areolar enlargement.
It is usually done for loss in the youthful shape /firmness and elasticity due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight fluctuation, ageing, heredity etc
Who is a good candidate for surgery?
- Physically healthy and maintaining a stable weight
- Do not smoke
- Feel concerned about the shape of your breast
- Your nipples an areolas point downward when unsupported
- Have large areolas and stretched skin
- One breast is lower than the other
It may be combined with other surgery of the breast for a better result
How to prepare for a surgery.
Dr Aditya shall discuss your past medical history in detail to determine your candidacy for the procedure. The procedure shall be explained to you in detail.
Doctor shall discuss the following:
- Breast lift surgery options.
- Course of treatment.
- Likely outcomes and the potential risks involved.
- Take pictures of the breasts to evaluate outcomes.
- Evaluation of general health status.
- Medical examination including tests.
- Physical examination:
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs such as Aspirin and Ibuprofen that may interfere with the healing process.
- Stop smoking and alcohol at least 4 weeks before the surgery.
How is Surgery done?
- The procedure is usually done under local anesthesia and IV sedation or General Anesthesia.
Steps of the Procedure:
Incision/cuts are made to the breast (may be made around the areola, around the areola to the lowerside of the breast, or others) Discuss these with your surgeon.
Dr Aditya will then correct and lift the breast tissue with some surgical techniques to improve their shape and firmness. The nipple and areola may be repositioned if needed. Excess skin is removed
The skin becomes tighter as the cuts are closed. Sutures or tape may be used to close the incision. The results of the lift are usually immediately visible
Most of the cuts are hidden in the natural breast lines but some may be visible .In most cases these will fade over time.
Time to Operate:
- This depends on the surgeon and individual candidate. However, the average time taken to operate is about 2-3 hours.
Possible Complications and Risks:
- Anesthetic risks
- After the surgery, some patients may temporarily have Pain, swelling, bruising and discharge
Care after the Procedure
After the surgery the breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressing and elastic bandage or personalized pressure garments to decrease the swelling and support healing
Upon discharge you will be given specific instructions for painkillers, antibiotic usage, dressing, pressure garments and a follow up appointment
Pain will decrease within a few days but swelling and tenderness may last a few weeks. Final result will be visible in 2-3 months